David Ogilvy was an advertising leader who was widely hailed as "The Father of Advertising". In 1962, Time called him "the most sought-after wizard in today's advertising industry".
Ogilvy's advertising wisdom followed these four basic principles: creative brilliance - had a strong emphasis on the ''big idea'', research - he never underestimated research importance in advertising, actual results to clients, and professional discipline - he codified knowledge into slide and film presentations he called Lanterns.
Ogilvy remains one of the most famous names in advertising and one of the handful of thinkers (Raymond Rubicam, Leo Burnett, William Bernbach, Ted Bates) who revolutionized the business after the 1920s.
His quotes have always influenced me, so I have chosen Top 10 quotes that can rise your results to the next level and you will keep ahead through creativity.
- ‘’If it doesn’t sell, it isn’t creative.’’
- ‘’Never write an advertisement which you wouldn’t want your family to read. You wouldn’t tell lies to your own wife. Don’t tell them to mine.’’
- ‘’The more informative your advertising, the more persuasive it will be.’’
- ‘’What really decides consumers to buy or not to buy is the content of your advertising, not its form.’’
- ‘’A good advertisement is one which sells the product without drawing attention to itself.’’
- ‘’Advertising is only evil when it advertises evil things.’’
- "Use their language, the language they use every day, the language in which they think.’’
- ‘’Never stop testing, and your advertising will never stop improving.’’
- ‘’The best ideas come as jokes. Make your thinking as funny as possible.’’
- ‘’On the average, five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy. When you have written your headline, you have spent eight cents out of your dollar.’’